Korea University Graduate School

  • Sitemap
  • Directions
  • 한국어

Studying at Korea University

Alien Registration Card Issuance

Required Documents for those who have entered Korea with a D-2 student visa
1) Passport
2) Application form(Immigration Office)
3) One passport-size color photo (3.5cm X 4.5cm)
4) Application fee: KRW 30,000 (for applying for new alien registration card)
5) Before the beginning of the semester: Registration confirmation form
After the beginning of the semester: Certificate of enrollment
* Student ID Card is issuable at the One-Stop Service Center
(Central Plaza B111 or Hana Square B107 or Sejong Library 1F)
6) Document for Proof of Residency - Students must visit the Immigration Office to obtain the Alien Registration Card
Sejong-ro Immigration Office : for the jurisdiction of Korea University Seoul Campus
Address : Seoul Global Center, 2~3F, 54-1 Seorin-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul
Telephone : (02)731-1799 / Call center : 1345



Student Visa (D-2)


Following the immigration law in Korea, all international students at KU must obtain a student visa (D-2) before the semester begins. Student visa (D-2) is to be acquired at the Korean embassy/consulate in the student's home country before entering Korea. Several documents are required for the D-2 visa application, and among them, some documents take a long time to be issued. Hence, students are advised to prepare the requirements in advance to get the visa on time. It is the students' responsibility to obtain a student visa (D-2) before the semester begins. For students who already have a student visa (D-2) issued using the Certificate of Admission (CoA) from another university for the same degree program at KU, they may be required to make a departure and apply for a new student visa (D-2) issued with the CoA from KU at a Korean embassy/ consulate in his/her home country.
Group tourism visa (C-3-2), medical tourism visa (C-3-3), or general tourism visa (C-3-9) CANNOT be changed to a student visa (D-2) in Korea. Students entering Korea with such types of visas must depart as soon as possible and obtain a student visa (D-2) at the Korean embassy or consulate in their home countries.
The requirements for student visa (D-2) application may vary by individual and by the embassy. It is advised for the student to contact the Korean embassy or consulate in their home country first before applying for the visa, to find out if there is any additional documentation needed for the application of D-2 visa.
After receiving the passport back, please check if the issued visa is for Masters (D-2-3) or Ph.D / Integrated MS · Ph.D (D-2-4) under the name of KU. If Associate (D-2-1), Undergraduate (D-2-2), or any incorrect type of visa is issued, the student must notify the Korean embassy immediately and correct the visa type to an appropriate one.

Student ID Card Issuance

1) Location : One-Stop Service Center Central Plaza B1F (B111)
(02)3290-1142, 1144 Hana Square B1F (B107) (02)3290-4090 Sejong Library 1F
(Sejong Campus) (044)860-1072
2) Required Documents : 1 color photo (3.5cm X 4.5cm), Passport (Original) a copy of the front side of Alien Registration Card



Health Insurance

All international students are required to have a health insurance plan. Students MUST have one of the following three options: Study-abroad Insurance from the home country, Korean National Health Insurance Service, or Private Insurance in Korea. However, from February 28, 2021, Korean Government is regulating that any foreigner who has stayed for six months or more in Korea is subject to the statutory subscription to the National Health Insurance Service (NHIS).
National Health Insurance Service
As an international student studying in Korea, you can receive a 50% discount from the National Health Insurance Service which is about 131,900 KRW. Students need to submit a passport, ARC. and certificate of Enrollment in order to apply for NHIS.
Major Private Insurance Companies (Optional)
- Contact : Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance (82-1899-0010) - Website : www.samsungfire.com
- Contact : KB Insurance (82-2-3140-1717 (English, Chinese)) - Website : www.kbinsure.co.kr
- Contact : Meritz Fire Insurance (82-1688-7711/82-2-3786-2114) - Website : www.meritzfire.com
Medical Facilities
The University Welfare and Health Center
The University Welfare and Health Center provides primary medical care and health services for students including annual physical exams, x-rays, primary medical care for simple ambulatory cases, health counseling, dental care, etc. In addition to the central clinic on the Main Campus, branch clinics are located on the Science Campus and the Sejong Campus.
Health Centers by Campus
Humanities and Social Sciences Health Center - Central Square B1 Floor #112 - +822-3290-1571
Sciences Health Center - Hana Square B1 Floor #102 - +822-3290-1572
Sejong Health Center - Student Union Building #221 - +8241-860-1037~8
The Korea University Medical Center
There are four Korea University Medical Centers in Anam, Guro, Yeoju, and Ansan which are equipped with the latest technologies for diagnostic and treatment equipment. While it is hoped that students would never need the center’s services, KU medical center is one of finest facilities in Korea and is available for students.
Anam Hospital 
- Telephone : +82-2-920-5114, 6114
- International Healthcare Center : +882-2-920-5677 
- Emergency Center : +82-2-920-5268, 5865
On-campus accommodation
Students are responsible for arranging their own accomodations The University dormitory is one option that is quite affordable, however, the availability is limited
Anam Global House is a dormitory for graduate students and GKS students who will be attending 2021 1st semester. can apply. Therefore if you are a student who is expected to graduate in Feb 2021,or have completed the course cannot apply unless you are registered for a required course limit.
Website : http://reslife.korea.ac.kr
Seoul Graduate Student Residence Manager Email : reslife_grad@korea.ac.kr
Graduate Student Residence Manager Phone : +822-3290-1555
Off-campus Accommodation
Prices range from approximately 350,000 KRW to 700,000 KRW per month, and the average price is about 500,000 KRW. There are quite a lot of private student accommodations called ‘Gositel’ around the campus.
‘Gositel’ is usually a single person room that comes fully furnished with a shared kitchen and laundry.
Useful Websites:
Korean Language Center
Established in 1986, KLC offers various education programs, cultural events, and support services to meet the needs of international students.
Advantages of KLC
- Over 150 professional faculty comprising experts in Korean Language Education
- The KLC conducts placement interviews to assign new students to appropriate classes according to their Korean proficiency level.
- Cultural experience programs and events such as Hello Summer! party, field trips, International Korean UCC Festival and etc
- Student support services including student helpers to help with your Korean language skills and adjust your lives in Korea, multilingual counseling service in English, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Russian, and Mongolian, and visa agency services
KLC Programs